Monday, July 11, 2011

Why the name 'PARITRAAN'?

Well, I have been asked this question so many times. Why the name Paritraan for this social initiative? there isn't one answer.There are quite a few reasons for that. The first being I had to have a name for a team!

I first heard of the word Paritraan in the year 2005 while I was in Bangalore. It was supposed to be a political party launched by a group of IITians who were initially into social-service but then got irritated due to the obstructions they had to face during their social service campaign.

I was really happy. It was a time when my hopes were high. I was preparing to appear for IIT-JEE and was really impressed to know that finally educated section of the society is taking responsibility of the nation. The word got printed in my soul.

In the news they also explained the meaning for the word 'Paritraan' which comes from the famous verse of the Holy Geeta-

“यदा यदा ही धर्मस्य ग्लानिर्भवति भारतः, अभ्युथानम अधर्मस्य तदात्मानं सृजाम्यहम!
परित्राणाय साधुनाम विनाशायः च दुष्कृताम, धर्मं संस्थापनाथायः संभवामि युगे युगे!!”

Paritraan literally means "To bring relief from the cause of distress".

परित्राणाय साधुनाम [Paritraanaya Sadhunaam] was also used as an emblem by the Chhattisgarh Police. I really liked the meaning it conveyed.

So when I was thinking of a name for my team, which should convey what it stood for and the idea behind it – Paritraan was an obvious choice. Also, it embodied our cultural heritage.

And today I am really happy to say that the word Paritraan is not just a word anymore… it has given meaning to many lives associated with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment